YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS ACADEMY (YEA!)
The Chamber and local businesses are proud to provide this educational opportunity for students in the Tacoma Public School District. YEA! guides and inspires students to obtain the skills of leadership, innovation, and entrepreneurship. It allows them to conceptualize and launch their own business; this is achieved through the YEA! curriculum, business leader instruction, and mentorship.
The Young Entrepreneurs Academy (YEA!) began in 2004. Since the program’s inception, over 1,000 student businesses have been launched.
This fosters a spirit of entrepreneurship and innovation among today’s youth by allowing students to develop business ideas, write business plans, conduct market research, and pitch their concept to an investor panel. They are able to launch and run their own legal, fully formed company or social movement.
It is a wonderful tool to teach students about business - and a great way to build confident leaders that understand the value of work ethic while unifying the business and educational community. Students are enabled to transition successfully to adulthood; gaining the ability to network and develop relationships with local business leaders and become an entrepreneur in their own backyard.
YEA! ALLOWS STUDENTS TO REALIZE THAT THEY CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITHIN THEIR OWN COMMUNITY
- Students between 11 and 18 years old, grades ranging from 6 through 12
- Business leaders and entrepreneurs from the local community
- Coincides with Tacoma School District's academic year
- 3-hour course week, running between November and May
Tuition based program along with student scholarships and investor sponsorship opportunities
PROVIDES STUDENTS WITH THE OPPORTUNITY TO...
- Brainstorm Ideas
- Write a Business Plan
- Interact with Business Professionals
- Behind-the-Scene Look at Local Businesses
- Pitch to Potential Investors
- Obtain Funding to Create a Business
- Legally Register & Launch their Own Business or Social Movement
THE CHAMBER & YEA!’S SHARED GOAL IS TO...
- Inspire Innovation
- Build Vision & Work Ethic
- Facilitate the Recognition of Opportunity
- Promote the Value of Taking Risks
- Demonstrate how to Produce Solutions
- Expand the Ability to Create Value
The program coincides with the Tacoma School District's academic year and includes three, one-hour classes each week, running between November and May.
Specific Course Schedule Pending the Next Academy Launch
STUDENT SELECTION PROCESS
YEA! at the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber welcomes any Tacoma Public School student between 11 and 18 years old, grades ranging from 6 through 12.
Applicants should acquire the following competencies and interests...
- Desire to Start their own Business
- Strong Research & Writing Skills
- Ability to Execute Time Management
- An Independent Work Style
- Commitment to Self Motivation
- Dedication to Follow Through
In order to be considered as a candidate...
- Students must complete and submit the application
- Provide clear essay responses (included in the application)
- Submit school transcripts
- Present a letter of recommendation
An in-person interview is the last step of the qualifying process. Prior business experience nor a predetermined business concept is required to be accepted in the program.
If you are a local business leader, passionate about investing and growing the next generation’s workforce, YEA! is for you!
This is also an opportunity for you to grow your business network with other professionals that are committed to making a difference in the Tacoma-Pierce County Region.
Ways you can invest your time...
- Be an instructor
- Be a guest speaker
- Mentor throughout the program
- Host a “field trip” at your business or organization
- Review student business plans
- And more...
You can invest financially by...
- Sponsoring the program
- $3000 Premier Sponsor
- $1200 Investor Panel
- $250 CEO Roundtable Investor
- Providing student scholarships
- $395 Scholarship Investor
As a financial investor, you have an opportunity to present your company or organization as a leader of workforce development and supporter of education.
Desired Leaders & Industries
- Business & Patent Law
- Accounting & Taxes
- Financial Institution
- Commercial Insurance
- Public Speaking
- Graphic Design
- Web Development
- Social Entrepreneurs
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contact: Carmetrus Parker I 253.682.1727 I email@example.com I firstname.lastname@example.org